Friday, April 20, 2012

Habits and Head Games

First, yesterday's data:

Exercise:

AM: 37 minute (18+ km) loop ride to Shibinai and back past Hanakagura Onsen. Legs were heavy, sore from the descending of the stair training the night before and just plain tired. Still finished 1 1/2 minutes faster than two days prior. A good sign!

PM: My regular Thursday 60+ minute swim session (distance yesterday was 1,700 meters).. The legs were just as tired, or more, going in, but I ended up having the best swim session in a long time (ever?). I definitely turned a corner with my swimming yesterday that is a combination of many factors. In short, I'm just happy it's not just suffering anymore, but I can actual see/feel results.


Calories consumed:
2944 (more on this below)

DQS: 24

Notes:

The great thing about tracking my calories on MyFitnessPal is that I'm able to break it down by meals and snacks. My meals have been between 500~600 calories each which is good, especially since 80% of my DQS is from those 3 meals, as well. Now, the snack calories have been where I'm blowing it. These calorie numbers are between 800~1200 every day. While these snacks have been mostly healthy alternatives to bad foods (like chocolate, sweets, etc), the calories still add up. Because of the healthy eating, I've still been able to become stronger and my endurance/cardio has improved big time. However, the high calorie numbers is surely the reason why I've plateaued on my weight loss goals. I'm sure I've been losing a lot of body fat while gaining muscle (proof is in the shrinking waist), but I still have the goal of losing a lot more weight. Consequently, I need to cut those snacking calories in half....at least.

In a previous post, I mentioned how I want to get my daily calorie intake numbers down near 2250. That's a good goal, but I've made absolutely no progress on those words after posting it. You need to not only talk/say goals like that, but actually "walk the talk". That's where the "habits and head games" title of this blog comes into play. I believe that by doing my blog post in the evening, when I'm dead tired, it hasn't been productive for it's very hard to do the post (without falling asleep while typing) AND if I say something that I plan to do, it's very easy to forgot and go to sleep with no real intention/plan on how to follow through on that "talk".

Therefore, going forward, I'm going to do (or at least start) my blog post updates in the morning of the following day. This way, I wake up refreshed and ready to take on new daily goals ASAP. Of course, I'll have already added up my calorie/DQS numbers and planned out my exercise/meal plans before so writing (or starting to write)it on this blog will just be a formality. At the same time, I feel that putting it down here on this blog is a way to hold myself accountable and that is/was one of the main reasons for me starting this whole blog focus in the first place. Keeping track of calories, DQS and staying active is easy when I need to report it here. In other words, it would be very easy to just skip a day if I didn't have to post the information here and then a day would/could extend into a week pretty easy. Yes, it's forming those good habits and I'm sure that after a few months of this, it will become 2nd nature and I can probably start thinking of a new blog focus.

Until then, I'll keep posting both these personal health updates, as well as other updates from time to time.

Thanks for reading and putting up with my goal(s) of getting back into really good physical condition.

No comments: